Saturday, December 10, 2016

Another journey

I have been meaning to post for a couple of months about the new journey that I have been on.  I just haven't had time or really felt like it.

A year ago, I found a knot on my neck, just below my right ear & chin.  I didn't think anything about it, but asked my doctor the next time I went to see him.  He put my on an antibiotic because he thought it was an infection.  It didn't work.  I actually forgot about it for the next few months.  This summer I remembered to ask the doctor about it again, mostly because it was starting to hurt.  He referred me to an Ears, Nose & Throat (ENT) doctor.  Of course, I requested the doctor that had removed my thyroid in 2001.

The ENT doctor sent me for a MRI.  The MRI showed that there was a small mass in the nodule that was in my neck.  The doctor told me I had two choices:  one, I could have it removed and second, I could do a biopsy and see what it shows.  Well, like my thyroid, there wasn't a choice.  It was surgery.  I didn't want to take any chances.  I chose the same thing with my thyroid and when they removed it it came back cancer.  I was thankful then that I had chose surgery over biopsy.   So, here again, there wasn't a chose for me.  I scheduled surgery to have the nodule removed.

The surgery went well and recovery only took two weeks.  They sent the nodule off, like they always do, and it came back cancer.  Again?  I made it through this once but why I am going through this again?  I just didn't know what to expect or what this meant.  Did I have to have treatment and if I did, what kind?  My life as I knew it was changing ....


No comments:

Post a Comment