Friday, November 17, 2017

Thanksgiving Memories!!!





I am so in love with the new commercial by Publix.  It is about Thanksgiving and family.  It shows how important family is around this holiday - no matter what size your family consists of, such as:  single parent, two of you, just your family or a big family.   It really is a sweet commercial.

I think the commercial really hits home with me because I love Family at Thanksgiving.   To me Thanksgiving is all about Family - no matter what size.  I love having all my family around the table.  The more the merrier.

I have so many fond memories of Thanksgiving at my grandma's.  I LOVE THEM!!  My cousins would come in from Alabama.   I always loved when they came in because we didn't get to see them often - mostly at Thanksgiving and Easter.  It was a time to spend with cousins.  Whether it was seeing who got to sit in the kitchen to eat - that was always a good thing - you were closer to the food.  Or hiding in the bathroom when it came time to clean dishes.  My grandmother didn't have a dishwasher, so we would hid.


As I grew up I got to help my grandma with food preparation.  My memories are flooding back of helping her clean the turkey.  I can hear her laughing at me getting the insides out.  I always thought it was gross - still do.  She would let us grease down the turkey.  I cook mine differently than she does but I still have vivid memories of helping her with the turkey.



I am so thankful that I got to learn how she made dressing.  Now, she made the best dressing!!  I would have put it up against anyone else's.  In fact, I don't eat any other dressing.  My grandma didn't have a written down recipe so it took me years to learn how she made it.  I loved helping her and getting to do the taste testing.  I still make her dressing today.  Over the years, I have made it my own and I look forward to passing down the none written recipe to my daughter or granddaughter.  Maybe they will take pride in it like I have over the years.


Even though my grandma hasn't been with us for going on 17 years, I still miss her.  All we have now are our memories of those days gone by.  They are sweet, sweet memories and I will always cherish them.

What memories do you have about Thanksgiving?  Did you spend it with a big family?  Grandparents house or your own? 


No comments:

Post a Comment