Monday, March 21, 2011

Household Monday ...

In thinking about my post today ... about the big picture of getting out of debt.  I thought about all the little steps we can do to get to the bigger picture.  I think it is the smaller things we can do to get out of debt faster.  Things like; making coffee at home, instead of  stopping at Starbucks - that along could save you hundreds.  What about taking your lunch to work or school instead of eating out?  I know from experience, when I use to work, could save you anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 per day.  That could quickly add up. 

I am already doing a lot of the smaller things to help my family get out of debt.  But one area that I am really working on is in my grocery bill.  I have always done a budget amount for groceries but most months have gone over it.  I can remember months charging my groceries.  (I know .. not smart .. if I had only known then what i know now!!)  Thank goodness I have finally learned.  So for the past month or so I have really been trying hard to stay in my grocery budget. 

I have always done coupons, and for the most part, thought I was doing good.  I mean, I was saving about $20 to $30 per shopping visit.  Thanks good, right?  Well, I thought so .. until my sister and I went to  coupon workshop.  OH MY GOODNESS!!   I learned that I can save much much more, just by changing a few simple things.   Here are a couple of things that I learned: 

1 - Don't go to the store with your "Need list" -- you need to go to the store with your "Use list".  This was an eye opener for me.   You want to look through the sales papers and find what is on sale that you use and stock up!!  For example:  mayonaise, ketchup, laundry detergent, etc.  These are the things that we use alot of, so when the items are at rock bottom prices, I stock up.   You want to buy enough for 10 to 12 weeks.  That is usually how long it takes for an item to go back on sale. 

2 - Never ever buy anything at full price.  You wait until the items goes on sale.  That is why you stock up.  If you have to keep going to the store to buy items that you "need" you are paying full price.  Take cereal for example -- if you get it when you run out you will be paying anywhere from $4.50 and up per box.  They will put it on sale for under $2.00

Tune in next week for more tips on "How to cut your grocery bill".  You dont' want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment