Friday, October 15, 2010

My Story - Thyroid problems - Part I

I never thought about me blogging about my thyroid issues, until today, and it just hit me to tell my story.  Over the next couple of weeks, on Friday, I will share my Thyroid story. 

Over 20 years ago, I went to the doctor to see why I wasn't losing weight.  I was trying my hardest to lose weight.  Eating, at least 1/2 way decent, and exercising.  I was always tired and really didn't have a lot of energy.  Also, my hair was coming out by the hand fulls and my nails were very brittle.   My doctor asked me if I had ever had my Thyroid checked. 

Thyroid?  What was that?  I didn't have a clue. I didn't know where it was at.  So, he examined me and found that mine was a little enlarged.  Then he said he wanted to do a biopsy.  Now what did this entail?

I will never forget, as long as I live, him coming in with this really long needle. I asked him what he was going to do with that needle and he said, "I have to take a biopsy from your thyroid".  I told him that he only had one chance and that was it.  Little did I know, he had to stick me three different times. 

At that time, the results came back beign.  However, my blood work did come back showing that I had hypothyroidism.  The doctor told me I would be on this medication for life and sent me on my way. 

I had no clue what to do, besides take my medication each and everyday.  We didn't have the Internet back then to do research and find out what all this meant.  I never learned anything.  I just knew what I had heard from other people, that they took their meds and lost weight.  Not me.

I ended up getting pregnant with my 1st child, who is now 22.  While I was pregnant, I lost 50 pounds.  I ate whatever I wanted to and I had SO much energy.  I out walked by husband and friends, from work, at Six Flags, just two weeks before my due date.  

As soon, as I had my son, the weight just came back on.   The only thing the doctors can figure out is, my thyroid must have started working.  This happened with each of my children - I lost weight. 

Please check back in next Friday for Part II . 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the next installment. I have never heard the whole story.

    ReplyDelete