Saturday, October 30, 2010

Praying

How do you pray?  Is there a right or wrong way to pray? 

I don't think it is a one size fits all.  I think that praying is an individual choice.  However, there are so many books out on how to pray.   I have read a few myself.  I have gotten different things from each book. 

Here are a few ways that I pray - hopefully you might can find a few that will help you with your prayer life. 

#1 - Pray like you are talking to your best friend -  I had a friend to tell me along time ago that he prays like Jesus is sitting right there in the chair next to him.  So, this is something that I have done since then.   It makes it a lot easier. 

#2 - Write your prayers down -  Make a journal where you write your prayers down.  This way it will keep you from forgetting who you are praying for and why.  Make sure to mark when the prayer has been answered.  That way when you look back, you will be able to see, what prayers, got answered.  This is really neat to see. 

#3 - Make an appointment with God -  This is something that I have always struggled with, of getting my priorities in order.  However, I have set a new goal for myself, and that is, to set aside 30 minutes a day to be with God.  That includes doing my Bible reading, praying and journaling.  So far, I have been doing good and the 30 minutes is flying by. 

#4 - Daily admit your shortcomings to God. - Making it a daily practice to rid your mind of guilt, doubt. and a poor self-concept by confessing any known sin (such as any unforgiveness, resentment, outbursts of anger, secret jealousies, or even hate) is the ultimate way to make friends and influence people.   Ask God for his help to change. 

Some people would disagree with this one, but I have been doing this for a short time, and I think it does help.  He knows what is on your mind anyway. 

We have to realize that God's love for us doesn't waver, nor is it based on my performance.  We can depend on His promise and principle in 1John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness".

If we practice of daily confessing my shortcomings to God can free us from dark habits and negative thinking that can hinder and hold us back from being all that we are meant to be!

#5 - Pray without ceasing -  We should pray all day long.  I will find little pockets or opportunities through out the day to pray.  Sometimes the Lord will prompt me to pray for a certain person at any given moment.  Or I just simply have a quiet moment, so I send a prayer up. 

#6 - Ask God for the things you want - He says to come to Him and ask and it shall be given.  This isn't to always ask for material things, but He does want us to ask.  We may not always get the answer we are wanting, but we can know that He will give us what we need.

God can never work in our lives until be open the door.  Prayer opens doors!!

God is waiting on us to PRAY!!!

Just start praying ...

No comments:

Post a Comment